Monday, January 30, 2006

Love That Builds Up

It seems that throughout the history of humankind, especially the Church there has always been struggle, confusion, and conflict between the primary issue of loving and knowing. What we call the Protestant Reformation, perhaps the greatest split in church history, had much more to do with theology-- what we think we know about God, than praxis--- how we love.

Paul said, “knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.”

It’s not about what we know. It’s about how we love.

Actually it is easier to be convinced that I am right, certain, and the enlightened one. After all, I think, therefore I am. It’s easier to reach for the fruit of knowledge than it is to trust God.

As best I can tell, Jesus was actually serious when he said to love one another. He didn’t say like everyone; agree with everyone; be nice to everyone… he said love one another… it goes both ways and sometimes loving others is painful and I don’t feel like loving others especially those who frustrate me and I “know” are wrong or in my opinion have some silly, scary, shallow and sadistic ideas about God. Does God really want me to love these people? Was Jesus really serious… did Paul know what he was talking about?

I have no problem looking others in the eyes and telling them where they are wrong; my problem is looking myself in the eyes… looking God in the eyes and admitting where I am wrong. If I’m such a master at KNOWING about love, grace, justice and mercy, then how can I so easily turn around and despise those who are created in the same image of God as me?

Paul says, if I know all the mysteries of the future and know everything about everything, but don’t love others, what good am I?

Someone once said that spiritual insanity is knowing what is right, hearing what is right and doing the opposite.

When I get honest with myself and God I begin to heal… I begin the process of transformation that happens through letting go of my self-righteousness and control and surrendering to God’s love. Just as I cannot transform the minds of others through puffed-up knowledge, I cannot expect to transform my life on knowledge alone. It takes God working in my life and heart. It begins with my willingness to allow God to be God in my life.

The way we live out our mission is not by reaching for the fruit of knowledge that can only puff us up and potentially kill us, but to a live a life of love… God, self, and especially others… that is what will build us up… that... love... is what will give us life.

1 comment:

girlfriday85 said...

and those that are the most unlovable to us are the ones who need our love the most. so difficult...