Friday, November 03, 2006

Describing God


How would you describe God to someone if, say, you didn't speak their language... or you were mute?

Think about that a moment.

You don't have a bible, written word, or even anything to draw with.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that I would take them to the most beautiful place I could find, turn in a circle with arms stretched wide and then point to the heavens, or direct their attention to the miracle of a baby bird breaking through it's shell. I know it sounds silly, but how do you show Jesus in your heart and soul?

Would you take the person to the Darfur region of Sudan where citizens are being slaughtered in mass by the malitia, or how about to the amputee ward of a military hospital for soldiers returning from Iraq?

God is there too.

So I was thinking it over again.
How could I describe the eternal majesty of our Father God? The saving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ? The daily guidance of The Holy Spirit?

The only thing I can come up with is that I would stay with this person, day and night. I would hold them when they were sad, tend to them when they got sick, protect them against all dangers...... and eventually develop a lasting communication, that, even though we were different, we could understand each other and I would know what they needed from me, and I could, in turn, show them love with no terms.

That might just begin to describe God.

No comments: