Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ever Feel Resentment?


Resentment is like taking poison and hoping the other person will get sick.

Resentment is an unmet expectation.
Resentment: Indignation or ill will felt as a result of a real or imagined grievance.

Do you have any resentment?

Think about the people you resent. You know them when you see them. What do you do? Increasing irritability and difficulty letting go of resentment can be signs of depression.

I am in a decent place right now, but it doesn’t take long to begin to feel resentful toward a person, especially if I don’t deal with my sense of frustration or hurt immediately.

I don’t like resentment because I am the one who gets sick—not the person I am resenting.

I’d like to say that I attempt to address my issues with another person upfront and as soon as possible- but I don’t. I’d feel so much better. Sometimes it is only after the fact and I notice my feelings. Right then, I should make myself go to the person and let them know what I'm feeling. My wife is really good at that (one of the many reasons I love her). You'd think that it should be easier with family members or close friends, but, at least for me, it isn't. I think I'm afraid of hurting a relationship, where in reality, I'm probably not giving the other person enough credit to accept my perceptions maturely. I need to dwell on that a bit. Anyway, I’m sure I would find that I am much less sarcastic. I need to remember that I’m doing it for myself. I’d probably sleep better as a result. And I bet I’d find I spend considerably less time working through forgiveness or attempting to forget.

Even with the simple things.

Poison is substance that causes injury, illness, or death. Resentment poisons me.

No comments: