Thursday, September 15, 2005

With One Hand Tied Behind Our Backs

I went to my bible study Tuesday night at the church. It's given by one of the teaching pastors. He asked if anyone had heard what happened after the last service. He said that 2 families had gotten into a fight. He didn't elaborate, but now it's out there. Right away my alarm system went up that this wasn't cool. Needless to say, at break, as I sat in my chair waiting for the study to resume, I heard no less than 5 people discussing the incident. I could have screamed! I mean seriously, we don't need to worry about satan using the unsaved or his demons to destroy us Christians. It seems like we do a good enough job all by ourselves.
I constantly see instances where we tear each other down. Sometimes even destroying a brother or sister in the name of Jesus Christ. People throw around terms like, "righteous indignation", or chastising someone who doesn't live up to the standards that we ourselves could never attain. There seems to be so much judgement flying around out there and not enough compassion, or coming along aside one another.
I was just thinking about Jesus and how he would correct people; and it seems like He was only slightly forceful or aggressive when speaking with the "Holier than Thou" sect. (Pharisees, Saducees, Jewish Tribunal). When dealing with His beloved disciples and followers and many people that were concidered the dregs of society, He was gentle, compassionate, and understanding of their flaws. He said Himself that He did not come into the world to judge but to save it. And in John 8:15 He said that we judge in human terms while He doesn't. We shouldn't cause others to stumble. 1 Cor. 10:32.
I have been SO guilty of being too liberal with my tounge and not stopping to think of who I'm hurting or the consequences of my actions. I truly feel that by my lack of spiritual maturity, I helped tear apart a church family instead of coming along side and bringing my brethren together. So I truly am the worst of these. But the point is that we are to grow and mature and learn from our trials and temptations to use that awful tounge to spread juicy stuff about those we are to love the most. Never forget that we are called to be the Light in this World for those unsaved family, friends, and aquaintances around us. So, let's stop tearing down and start lifting up.

No comments: