Monday, July 18, 2005

What Is A Habit?

What is a habit?
We spend so much of our time reading, writing and talking about bad habits. We are sometimes consumed with guilt and even allow bad habits to control our lives. People have been destroyed by desires of the flesh. We attempt to break our bad habits while giving little thought to good habits. As with anything else we want, it takes will- the will to create a good habit over a bad one. Sorry to say, there is no magic pill, just determination and patience.
Good habits can play a powerful role in helping us to become consistent. Consistency means repetition; repetition eventually becomes a habit. Proverbs 22:6 says that teaching a child something over and over is the best way to ensure that it stays with them as an adult. If you haven’t made habits out of a daily devotional time, church attendance, prayer, and other godly pursuits, you are making a habit out of being inconsistent in all areas of your life.
Oswald Chambers wrote, "If I am in the habit of steadily facing myself with God, my conscience will always introduce God’s perfect law and indicate what I should do. The point is, will I obey? I have to make an effort to keep my conscience so sensitive that I walk without offense. I should be living in such perfect sympathy with God’s Son, that in every circumstance the spirit of my mind is renewed, and I "make out" at once "what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."
If we obey when we hear that still small voice, our new habits will become commonplace and the peace that surpasses all understanding will find us.
JG

No comments: