Thursday, February 23, 2006

On Compassion pt.2

I could not say this better...so I won't try.

From John Baillie's- A Diary of Private Prayer: A Devotional Classic, 1949

O Father in Heaven, who didst fashion my limbs to serve Thee
and my soul to follow hard after Thee, with sorrow and con-
trition of heart I acknowledge before Thee the faults and fail-
ures of the day that is now past....

My failure to be true even to my own accepted standards:

My self-deception in the face of temptation:

My choosing of the worse when I know the better:
O Lord, forgive.

My failure to apply to myself the standards of conduct I
demand of others:

My blindness to the suffering of others and my slowness
to be taught by my own:

My complacence toward wrongs that do not touch my own
case and my over- sensitiveness to those that do:

My slowness to see the good in my fellows and to see the
evil in myself:

My hardness of heart toward my neighbors' faults and
my readiness to make allowances of my own:

My unwillingness to believe that Thou hast called me to a
small work and my brother to a great one:
O Lord, forgive.

What a powerful and humbling prayer.

No comments: