Wednesday, February 22, 2006

On Compassion pt.1

So how do we become more compassionate?

The first step occurs on our knees. I think we must confess our lack of concern.

The promise of 1John 1:9 involves both forgiveness and cleansing: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins." We often forget the second part of the verse: "...and purify us from all unrighteousness."

God not only declares us forgiven and justified but also furthers the cleansing work that He began in us.

When we confess that we don't care if our neighbor is going to hell, God pardons and also perfects. He makes us less stained, wrinkled, angry, contemptuous, or self-absorbed.

We might need to tell our heavenly Father, "I don't care about some people the way I should. I have a cold heart. Please make me more like You- caring, compassionate, gracious, and abounding in mercy. Give me as great a longing to see Your work in people around me as I long for it within my own life. I need You to work this out of me, because I cannot manufacture this kind of compassion by myself."

-more later.

No comments: