Monday, December 12, 2005

Here's What I Know

I don't know why God allows evil things to happen, but I'm glad that He did allow one evil thing to happen- He allowed Jesus to die on the cross. That was, from the human perspective, an evil thing. He was an innocent man who died at the hands of angry, threatening people. This is fact. We know that it happened. And we also know that, three days later, this Jesus rose from the dead. This one historical fact that we do know outweighs the many other things that I don't know about God.

From God's perspective, this was a good thing. Because Jesus rose from the dead, I know there's life after death for those who follow Him. That gaurantee of eternity makes the pains of this life seem much more bearable. As the New Testament says, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." Romans 8:18.
What I know outweighs what I don't know.

As a result, I think that having hope makes more sense than having bitterness. I think that believing in God at whatever He does is better than cursing Him. I think that having Jesus' name on my lips as my Lord and Savior is better than having His name on my lips as a swear word. I think that joy fits reality better than despair does, and assurance of eternal life fits better than the fear of death. I think that basing that assurance on the historically factual events of the Cross and Resurrection is better than any kind of false, psyched-up crossing of my fingers. I think that following and obeying Christ and His morals produce a much better life than following my desires, my hormones, or my sinful fantasies.

Would anyone listen to such a long tirade? Maybe not. But even if we deliver only a part of this message, especially in the way we act, we've given nonbelievers an answer to an unasked, but perceived question as to why we would choose to submit to an old book and a Master they cannot see.

No comments: