Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Neighbors and Enemies

It seems like pain and suffering in ourselveswould teach us a little about pain and suffering in others.

Too often it doesn’t.

It seems like having a loved one face a potential life threatening illness would soften our hearts to others who are facing a life threatening illness.

Too often it doesn’t.

It would seem that knowing the fear pain, confusion, hurt and loss that is associated with a loved one’s suffering would move us in a manner that we would never want to see another human suffer.

It would be rather hypocritical to beg God to heal and cure my friends and family while I live a life that perpetuates indifference and even hatred toward others.I may not be violent, but I surely am not following Jesus when it comes to loving my enemies.

Something seems wrong with "Dear God, please heal my wife." While I advocate sending kids off to a foreign land to kill and hurt the "enemy" and to be killed and injured by the "enemy." Does God only hear my prayers? I mean, does God hear my prayers for healing of a loved one while ignoring those who live opposite of my views? If God hears my prayers knowing my potential for evil, what would possess me to think that somehow God wouldn’t hear the prayer of those who differ from me? That is about the same mentality as, "Please God help my team win" while hoping the opponent’s quarterback gets creamed.If I am going to pray for a loved one, it would seem that God would expect me to pray with at least the same intensity for the healing of others. Too often I don’t. I wonder how that impacts God? Seriously, I wonder what God must think? "Dude, I know you love your wife, but how 'bout passing on some prayers for those you can't stand."

Perhaps that is a mark of my spiritual maturity? Praying with the same intensity for those I dislike as those I love. Passionately praying for those who I think are my enemies the same way Jesus instructed. If so, I am not all that mature.
I need to repent. I mean if I am going to use the Word and talk about repenting I ought to at least repent and turn toward the Love and believe the Good News. That is, that God loves us all the same. Even those I don't like.
But while I am begging God to heal those I know and love there are those with whom I differ who are begging God to heal those they love. Tonight as we pray for a friend to be healed from cancer there is a mother begging God to return her son or daughter home safely from a war or a dissident begging God to help end government oppression and abuse or some woman begging God to end the violence in her own home. If I am going to pray, then my prayer life ought to transform my world view and the way I live. My prayer life ought to not be only for my healing but the healing of the planet. Because, prayer really isn't all about me.

Lord in you mercy hear OUR prayer(s).

1 comment:

girlfriday85 said...

very good, very deep. one thing that comes to mind with me is, yes...we should pray for our enemies and indeed the planet. however, and i hope you understand what i mean here because i'm having a hard time putting it in to words...i think that whilst we should pray for everyone... the "power" of prayer may rely on the faith of who is being prayed for as well. so while we should pray for all..."all" has a responsibility too. i think God understands our level of intensity when it comes to prayer for those that are near and dear to us. like when i pray for someone on the news...He knows my heart isn't broken like it would be for a loved one but He knows i want to do the right thing by asking Him to be with that situation.