Wednesday, October 05, 2005

In You I am well pleased

I was reading in Luke 3 and I thought this was really cool! Starting at vs. 21. Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus was also baptized, and while He was praying, heaven was opened, 22 and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased."

The first thing I noticed is that this account of Christ's baptism is unadorned compared to the other gospels. John isn't even mentioned! I also found it interesting that it said He was in the act of talking to God when heaven opened up.

What really blew me away was the end of verse 22 where the Father says,"You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased. Why would God say He was pleased? Is it because He is holy? Or is it because He is a good teacher?
I think God chose to speak aloud in front of the masses for the first time in over 400 years because Jesus was willing to humble Himself by identifying Himself with the Gentile people. Who were these people? As John the Baptist said back in Luke 3:3, they were being baptized of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. They were non-Jewish sinners that Moses' law could not save. And as we all know, Jesus was sinless! I think that's why God was so proud. Jesus led by humility. There was no need, but He set an example for us, even at the beginning of His ministry.

No comments: