Monday, August 15, 2005

Root or Fruit?

I was listening to a program the other day and the speaker was talking about God's word being as sharp as a two edged sword(Heb.4:12). He was pointing out how His word separates the "root" issues from the "fruit" issues of the world. I'm not talking about the Fruits of the Spirit.
I am relating it to marriage specifically. I think too many people today view marriage in a way that asks about the rewards or benefits for the time invested. If my spouse has fed, watered, and nurtured me- seeing to all my needs, then I will produce the fruit of love, stability, and respect for her that she desires. That is entirely a worldly view.
God's word deals with the root issues. We can view our marriage this way by establishing ourselves firmly in God's word and talking with Him together each day. I've found that by living His principles and putting my wife before myself, I don't have thoughts of unmet needs. Tell me what marital problems can't be fixed by dealing with personal pride and selfishness.

No comments: